Wellbeing Wednesdays Episode #25
“The one about… What other people think”
The topic for this month's Wellbeing Wednesdays stemmed from several conversations I had recently with clients, all of whom were feeling stuck in their own way, because of “what other people think”. So I devoted a whole episode to it, looking at the MECHANICS of what's going on when we think about what other people think, and the IMPLICATIONS for changing things for the better.
We looked at perfectionism & people-pleasing and took our new understanding of “what other people think” into answering some questions, most notably a big one on changing careers when you're up against obstructive family & cultural expectations.
Here's what's inside:
- An invitation, from Hafiz, and a short meditation on awakening to the Now
- How experiencing a low period led to a creative burst
- A realisation: living inside a news article-created reality is not good for you!
- Reading & discussion of an article I wrote: “What other people think”
- A breakdown of the MECHANICS: what we think, what other people think… what's actually going on
- How the mind creates the notion of “self” & “other” and the IMPLICATIONS
- A reminder of where thought-feelings live: with the person creating them
- An exploration of metaphors for oneness and connectedness
- You are not your body (judged by cell volume, “you” are 54% bacteria)!
- What we can learn from sound, how it works, and where the meaning in language is held
- Looking at the phrase, “Hurt people hurt people”
- How understanding separate realities fosters compassion
- The development of self goes hand in hand with people-pleasing
- Thought systems: what's in them; what's outside them
- Making career changes when family/culture doesn't want us to
- The deathbed test: a time-honoured kick up the arse
- Looking at control, when making changes: what's in charge and what is not
Sit back, relax and listen for your own insight. An entirely fresh perspective on What other people think awaits!