Wellbeing Wednesdays Episode #21
“The one about… Gratitude”
An episode devoted to the topic of GRATITUDE: an inbuilt feeling state that somewhere along the way, we have innocently turned into a doing! So we picked it apart: what is it, where does it really come from, and how hard do we have to work at it? As well as a full hour on Gratitude, we had segments on the joys of being in nature, and a look at spirituality vs. psychology. A 90 minute bumper edition!
Here's what we covered, over an hour and a half:
- When getting lost in thought is ok (and when it's not)
- Why being in nature has so many excellent properties
- The pivotal role of presence/awareness of the now
- Why the dictionary definition of gratitude is wrong
- Gratitude practice and gratitude stones (remember those)?
- Gratitude journalling … any good?
- Quantifying how much control we have over our behaviour
- Seeing the role that ego plays in gratitude
- What life looks like when you've got your “Gratitude goggles” on
- How the Inside-Out understanding is rocket fuel for gratitude
- Natural feelings vs. Artificial/learned feelings
- Why thinking about happiness is a bad idea
- The surprising mechanism behind using our feelings as a guide to our wellbeing
- Being grateful for bad things in bad times
- Three words of advice from one of the most grounded teachers in the field
- The balance of spirituality & psychology